Wednesday, May 18, 2011

"Maria, you're incorrigible!"

So...not to make this a blog devoted entirely to 80s movies (although, what an AMAZING thought), but last night I watched Bonfire of the Vanities, which technically came out in 1990 but was clearly filmed prior to that, and it was so much fun! I only knew that Tom Hanks was in the lead role as Mr. Sherman McCoy, but as the movie rolled on, it became a parade of famous faces looking like their original, pre-surgically enhanced selves. Cue Bruce Willis...Rita Wilson...Kim Cattrall...Melanie Griffith...Kirsten Dunst...Morgan Freeman...the guy from Frasier who plays Daphne's fiance...all directed by Brian De Palma.
You have politics, race, 1980s excess, old school computers and 80s workout wear, and the Bronx depicted as a war zone. I will admit to attempting to read Tom Wolfe's 700+ page novel, but I couldn't get through it, and the movie version offers a much simpler solution. I'm sure they left out plenty of details in the film version, one of which was (thankfully) Bruce Willis' character's British accent, but there is still plenty of entertainment to sustain the two-hour run time. Of course, I was recently told that I was way off the mark with my opinion of Bull Durham...so maybe you won't want to listen to me again. But, I hope you do!

Photos from here and here.