Tuesday, March 22, 2011

"Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night"

I've been thinking about following this beatnik tour of North Beach that I read about a few days ago, and I'm not just saying that because I'm wearing my Buddy Holly glasses today. Check out all of the cool spots Mike Marino recommends in A Beatnik tour through the North Beach of San Francisco, California! Even though several of the spots are closed down now or are home to different venues, I still think it would be a really cool self-guided tour.
  • Lombard Street
  • Coit Tower
  • The Dharma Bums Tour
  • Jack Kerouac's House
  • 1010 Montgomery Street - where Allenn Ginsberg wrote Howl
  • The Six Gallery - where Ginsberg first read Howl
  • City Lights Bookstore
  • Vesuvio's Bar (Marino recommends the Jack Kerouac: rum, tequila, orange / cranberry juice and lime in a bucket glass. Sounds dangerous!)
  • The Purple Onion and The Hungry i
  • The Condor Club and Carol Doda
  • Finnochio's Club
  • Beach Blanket Babylon
  • The Church of Dirty Harry