Thursday, April 12, 2012

Put Your Game Face On

Well, here it is: the post on my half marathon. Setting and achieving this goal was a really big deal for me, since I could BARELY run for twenty minutes when I started training back in January. I’ve never been a runner (more like a book reader or a film watcher…various things of that relaxed nature), so finishing the 13.1 mile race felt really good. I also raised $1,300 for my local National Multiple Sclerosis Society!

Here are a few snapshots my wonderful boyfriend – who cooked all of my favorite (and high-carb) foods before and after the race, carried everything I might need pre- and post-race down to the course, iced my knees and rubbed me down with menthol-y liniments, helped me to and from the couch when I could barely move, and surprised me with a delicious solid chocolate Easter bunny afterwards – took of the race. I could never have done it as happily as I did without him.

Feeling a little bit nervous before the big start
Photobucket
You can't see me because I'm waaaaay in the back with the other 11-minute milers haha
Photobucket
It's all fun and games at the beginning
Photobucket
From the professional photogs along the course. As you can see, I've pulled away (i.e. been left behind) by the pack and am easy to spot in my blueberry outfit :-)
Photobucket
Coming into the finish!
Photobucket
Oh wow, I did it!
Photobucket
Walk it off haha
Photobucket
Now, if I could just heal up enough to lace up those sneakers again sometime soon...