Monday, October 3, 2011

Jam Out

Below is my first attempt at homemade jam. I used strawberries C and I picked up over the weekend at a farm stand near Santa Cruz. Of course, I made way more than two people could possibly consume before it goes bad, so I've started handing out little jars to people I like at work.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Here's the very simple (yet admittedly time-consuming) recipe I used. Adapted from SELF magazine:

INGREDIENTS
3 pints strawberries, hulled
1/2 C sugar cubes (I used 3/4 C non-cubed sugar because I like things sweet and that's what I had on hand)

INSTRUCTIONS
Cook berries in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring every 15 minutes, until jam-like in consistency (about 3 hours). Add sugar, using more (up to 3/4 cup) if you like your jam sweeter, and stir until dissolved. Transfer jam to a jar, let cool and refrigerate. It's a fresh jam, so keep it refrigerated for no more than 2 weeks.