Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Microclimate Madness

San Francisco, why are your sidewalks made of such slippery substances when you rain so often? I'm not pleased about the continual cold, but I deal with it because it's not really cold and it's not really continual and it allows me something to complain about from time to time. But when you couple that cold with treacherous walkways and perilous pavement, it makes it nearly impossible for me to know how to dress myself every morning. Should I decide to pull on my galoshes before heading out the door, you invariably mock me by presenting me with sunshine. Attempting to beat you at your own game, I slide on flats but am greeted halfway between home and the office with drizzling rain that leaves me soaked and sliding across intersections. So what's the answer, short of dragging a rolley-bag full of my earthly belongings up and down your menacing hills? What do I have to do to outsmart you, to arrive at work appropriately attired and kempt? I suppose I will have to enslave myself to my weather app and know that you never mean what you say and that you never say what you mean, and learn to accept your microclimate madness as one of your anomalous and endearing qualities. But in the meantime, could you please dry it up a bit for the evening commute?