Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy | Thank You | More | Please

With the weather so rainy, today was the perfect day for a movie! HappyThankYouMorePlease is completely adorable (although the writing was, admittedly, a little cheesy at some points), and I totally identified with some of the characters. I think the movie does a a really good job of capturing that sort of late 20s dilemma my generation seems to be trademarking. You know, the sort of thing where we kind of turn into angsty teenagers, leaving our parents to wonder when we'll ever grow out of our emo phase? Some people seem to have escaped that phase altogether (although it remains to be seen whether it will surface later, hello midlife crisis), while some people seem to manifest it in career indecision and others struggle with it in relationships. I guess the dilemma I'm talking about can really best be summed up in one word: choices.

Fortunately, we haven't had to grow up immediately after college, at least not in the sense that one might have thought of "growing up" thirty years ago. We travel the world, live abroad, follow our dreams down this road and the next, and are always on the lookout for the next best thing, for something better. I think this movie does a good job of singling out some of the pitfalls and indecisions that can arise from having so many choices. I mean, I'm all for choices, and I know I'm just as guilty as the next Gen Y-er when it comes to indecision in certain areas of my life, but I think that every now and then it's good to see some of our idiosyncrasies reflected back at us. And besides that, it's just a really fun movie!